CSCI-100 Introduction to Computing
Lab #30 -- Potpourri
February 12, 2010
DO NOT PRINT THIS PAGE. PRINT THE ANSWER SHEET AND SUBMIT IT WITH YOUR ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS IN THIS LAB. ONLY THE ANSWER SHEET WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Listen to the following 3 tutorials:
Then, on the ANSWER SHEET, write down your answers to the following tutorial questions, and submit your answers. It is probably better to listen to one tutorial first and answer the questions about that tutorial before listening to the next tutorial. Notice that you can also “Pause” a tutorial (there is a Pause/Play button) and answer questions while listening to it.
Installing a Home Network
1. A _______________ is required to connect three or more computers to a network.
2. If your network needs to share a high-speed Internet connection, you will need a DSL-/cable-ready:
3. In a wireless network, a wireless router can act as a wireless:
A. access point.
B. admission point.
C. entry point.
D. connection point.
4. In order to connect a PC to a network, the PC must have a(n):
B. network interface card.
D. wireless mouse.
5. Which of the following operating systems can NOT be connected to a network using the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard?
A. Windows 95
B. Windows 98
C. Windows ME
D. Windows XP
6. Before running the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard, you need to complete which of the following steps?
A. turn off all the computers that will be connected to the network
B. install all the network cards, modems, and cables to all the computers connected to the network
C. install broadband Internet access on all computers connected to the network
D. install Windows XP on all computers connected to the network
7. Each computer on a network must have:
A. a specific computer name.
B. a high-speed Internet connection.
C. a modem.
D. Windows XP.
8. If you are going to set up a wireless environment, each computer must have:
B. access to the printer.
C. Windows XP.
D. a wireless network interface card
9. Which statement is TRUE about wireless networks?
A. Wireless networks are faster than wired networks.
B. Wireless networks are less expensive than wired networks.
C. Wireless networks can only connect PCs together if they within line of sight.
D. Wireless networks can encounter more interference than wired networks because they rely on radio signals.
10. Which of the following is NOT true about networks?
A. Data is more secure.
B. Each computer needs a NIC.
C. Various resources can be shared among computers, including keyboards, monitors, and hard drives.
D. All computers do not have to be running the same operating system.
11. Each computer in a network must have a(n) ____________ installed.
12. A(n) ____________ connects devices to the router using radio waves.
13. A wireless ____________ can be used as a wireless access point in a wireless network.
14. To allow two or more PCs to share a high-speed Internet connection, you need a ______________.
15. The cables needed for a wired network should be __________ or ____________.
16. Which type of network is more susceptible to interference?
If you want to connect PCs in remote
locations, you shou
18. A wireless network is ___________ expensive than a wired network.
19. The Windows XP ____________ can be used to set up a network.
20. Which of the following are caused by the mismatch between movement and muscle capacity?
B. lumbar support
D. wrist rest
21. Where should your feet be in the perfect ergonomic setup?
A. crossed and propped on an elevated surface
B. propped on an elevated surface but not crossed
C. crossed and on the floor
D. flat on the floor
When using your keyboard, your
A. parallel to the ground.
B. slating downward.
C. slanting upward.
D. positioned to the left of the monitor.
23. The science of fitting the workspace to the worker is known as:
C. healthy computing.
D. workplace development.
24. An ideal chair for the workplace includes:
A. lumbar support that fits into the curve of your lower back.
B. your feet to be flat on the ground.
C. support for the legs without applying pressure to the back of the knees.
D. All of the above
25. Which of the following should ideally be placed on an adjustable shelf?
D. All of the above
26. To reduce wrist strain, use a:
A. wireless keyboard.
B. foot rest.
C. wrist rest.
D. wired keyboard.
27. When using a mouse, it should be:
A. placed to the right of the keyboard.
B. placed on a mouse pad.
C. adjustable in speed.
D. level with the keyboard.
28. Computer vision syndrome is:
A. caused by improper placement of the monitor.
B. a permanent condition.
C. not a real condition.
D. shaking images on the monitor.
A. slightly to your left, because this makes it easier to read any source documents
B. slightly to your right, because this makes it easier for others to view your screen
C. at least six inches below eye level
D. directly in front of you
30. A chair should have at least ____________ inch between you and the sides.
31. In the perfect ergonomic setup, your chair should provide ____________ that fits into the curve of your lower back.
32. The ideal placement of the monitor is ____________ inches away from you.
Your keyboard shou
34. The monitor should be ______________ to ____________ inches above eye level.
35. Headaches, blurred vision, and burning eyes can be caused by poor placement of the _______.
36. Computer vision syndrome is a _________condition caused by poor monitor placement.
37. The monitor should be placed directly ____________ of the viewer.
Lighting near the computer shou
Letting Your Computer Clean Up After Itself
39. Which of the following is NOT a system tool?
A. Disk Cleanup
B. Scan Disk
C. Recycle Bin
D. Disk Defragmenter
40. Which of the following is NOT true about temporary Internet files?
A. They make data readily available to your browser.
B. They require that data be downloaded every time you access a Web page.
C. They speed up Web surfing.
D. They are stored in the Internet cache folder.
41. Which of the following is TRUE about the Recycle Bin?
A. Files sent to the Recycle Bin can NOT be restored.
B. The Recycle Bin automatically empties its contents every 24 hours.
C. The Recycle Bin is a special section of the computer’s memory.
D. Windows stores items in the Recycle Bin until they are permanently deleted.
42. Which of the following is NOT true about Disk Cleanup?
A. You can compress old files.
B. You can decompress files.
C. You can remove downloaded temporary Internet files.
D. You can remove temporary Windows files.
43. Which of the following is NOT true?
A. Scan Disk can NOT improve the performance of your system.
B. Scan Disk searches for file system errors.
C. Scan Disk scans for and recovers bad sectors on a hard drive.
D. Disk errors can occur when a new program is removed from a system.
44. Unwanted temporary files on your computer are the result of:
A. installation of software.
B. unexpected crashes.
C. surfing the Internet.
D. All of the above
45. Which of the following system tools requires that you exit all active programs before starting them?
A. Scan Disk
B. Disk Cleanup
C. both Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup
D. both Scan Disk and Disk Defragmenter
46. The benefit of temporary Internet files is:
A. it speeds up Web surfing.
B. it customizes a Web site with advertising.
C. it tracks personal data.
D. All of the above
47. To delete temporary Internet files, use:
A. Windows search function.
B. Windows Explorer.
C. Tools ŕ Internet Options in Internet Explorer.
D. They cannot be deleted.
48. When you delete a file from your computer, it is:
A. deleted from the computer.
B. change to a temporary file.
C. copied to the Recycle Bin.
D. moved to the Recycle Bin.
49. If you restore files that you sent to the Recycle bin, they are:
A. returned to the fo
B. returned to their original location.
C. copied to the fo
D. copied to their original location.
50. Disk Cleanup performs all of the following, EXCEPT:
A. restoring damaged disks.
B. deleting temporary Internet files.
C. emptying the Recycle Bin.
D. compressing o
51. If your computer is running slowly and you want to check that the files are stored efficiently, use the _____________ tool.
A. Scan Disk
B. Disk Defragmenter
C. Disk Cleanup
D. Any of the above
52. The Recycle Bin is located on the ____________.
53. Disk Cleanup is located under which program?
54. ____________ is a system tool that searches for and fixes errors on a hard drive.
55. ____________ will consolidate the free space available on your hard drive.
56. When using Disk Defragmenter, the color ___________ is used to indicate unmovable files.
57. Routine activities such as saving and deleting files can result in _______________________.