This house, locally known as "Frank's Villa", was built around 1869. The 2-storey structure, a simplified example of Second Empire architecture, features a pitched mansard roof (allowing full headroom in the top floor) and a central chimney. The paired doors with glass are also an identifying feature of Second Empire; at this time large-pane glazing in the door itself supplanted the traditional classical sidelights. The 2-bay facade has a plain front porch and 2/2 windows, some of which are stained glass. The coloured glass glazing, especially the single pane surrounded by smaller panes, are probably later Queen Anne-style additions. There are dormers on all sides of the house as well as bay windows which mimic the projecting pavillions characteristic of Second Empire. The house is covered in clapboard siding. Apart from some basic elements, 105 Church Street has a lightness of form which sets it apart from the richly ornamented Second Empire; it is a simple, understated vernacular interpretation of this style.
The builder and first owner of 105 Church Street was Francis S. Cunningham who purchased the 12-acre property for $1,780. He sold the lot in sections and later in 1897 sold the house and 5400 square feet to Alexander Thompson, a bookkeeper for $350. It is possible some of the decorative work in this house can be creditted to Ozias Leduc's assistants who hired themselves out locally as painters when their commission work at St. Ninian's Cathedral was completed in 1904. This house has maintained its architectural integrity for there have been few alterations over the years.
Researched by Crystal McCormick
| Back to the Styles & Glossary Page | Back to Main Page |
HTML by J.Symonds.
For info on this project, please see Project Outline.