HISTORY OF Lincolnville, settled by free Black slaves in 1784.
Settlers living in Lincolnville could obtain land from the county with the stipulation that they clear the land. Lincolnville was among the first Black settlements in Nova Scotia.
The first settlers included; Reddicks,Ashes,Bordens,Desmonds,Johnson,.Some of the early records have shown Lincolnville maintaining forty families, now there are about twenty-five. The people have re-located because of the economy and the lack of employment.
Lincolnville received its name in the early 1800ís in honor of president Abraham Lincolnville who freed the slaves. before the name Lincolnville was issued, the community was called Guysborough road covered a large section
The first road in Lincolnville was merely a footpath, in 1937, the actual construction of a gravel road was formed. The, inhabitants of Lincolnville, still not satisfied with the traveling conditions; petitioned to receive pavement on these graveled roads. In 1939, the road was paved.
The first school in Lincolnville were actually the homes of the community members. In 1941 the first school was constructed .The school was one room and consisted of a stove in the center of the floor. This stove provided energy to heat the entire room. The school educated children from grade primary to grade eight. The class consisted of approximately fifty students. The teachers could not give the students the help they wanted and needed.
In 1964, a new school was constructed, it consisted of five classes with primary to six, the classes were smaller in number and the students had a better education.. The elementary school was first named Guysborough Road Consolidated School, but since September 1973, the school is now named the Mary E. Cornish Memorial School.
The Guysborough Road Consolidated School consisted of grades primary to six..Future grades were transferred to Guysborough Municipal High School where they furthered their education. The home of Mrs. Gussie Ash served as a Post Office to the community, the mail was delivered to her from Heatherton. Now the mail is delivered by rural route. The Lincolnville community today is one which shows the progress that can be achieved in a Black community. In recent times the community has acquired a small confectionary store and an auto body shop. Under way is a fire hall and plans for a new community center.