Workshop / Round Table in
Istanbul, August 10-17, 2003*
During the XXI World Congress of Philosophy - Istanbul (held at the Istanbul Convention and Exhibition Center)
Philosophy Facing Society in the World Context: Identity in Crisis
August 10, 2003, 14h00-15h50 - Istanbul Convention and Exhibition Center - Marmara
1. "Cultural Identity and Cultural Integrity"- Dr. William Sweet, Department of Philosophy, St Francis Xavier University, Canada
2. "Cultural Identity in Contemporary Confucianism"- Dr. Anja Steinbauer, Editor: Philosophy Now, Germany
3. "Philosophy? A Question of Cultural Identity" - Dr. Kuan-Min Huang, Department of Philosophy, Hua-Fan University, Taiwan
4. "Self-identity and Cultural Crisis: De-constructing 'Crisis' in the Context of Generalizable Interests," Dr. Cristal Huang, Dept. of Philosophy, Soochow University, Taiwan
5. "Locating the Self: Community, Relationships and Identity," Dr. John Ozolins, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia.
Rights, Responsibilities, and Tradition
August 15, 2003, 14.00-15.50, Red Hall
Discussions of rights--natural rights, civil rights, and human rights--dominate political discourse not only in the west, but the world over, and it is fair to say that many of us live in societies in which there is (at least officially) a 'human rights culture.' Particularly since the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948, the expression of the value of human dignity has often been framed in terms of these rights.
But this emphasis on rights has been criticized by some who argue that it promotes rights while ignoring responsibilities, and that it favours the individual while ignoring the effects on traditions and cultures.
In this workshop / round table, organised by the World Union within the framework of the XXI World Congress of Philosophy, participants will discuss rights and the human rights culture and their implications for the community, culture, and tradition.
1. TBA - Dr. George F. McLean, President, World Union of Catholic Philosophical Societies
2. "Rorty, Rights and Obligations," Dr. John Ozolins, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia.
3."Rights and Cultural Traditions," Dr. William Sweet, Department of Philosophy, St Francis Xavier University, Canada
4. "Response as Duty - Reflection on Responsibility," Dr. Tran Van Doan, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
5. "The Right Must Be Right: Why Hegel Makes His Ethics in Philosophy of Right?", Dr. Chih-Sheng Yang, Department of Philosophy, National Taiwan University
Secretary-General: William Sweet (Antigonish) email@example.comPresident: George F. McLean (Washington)Past President: Jean Ladrière (Louvain)Members of the Organising Committee
* The workshop/round table
will take place during the World Congress
For information on submitting a paper, please contact William SweetProfessor William Sweet
|Dr. YANG Chih-sheng,
Assistant Professor of
National Taiwan University.
Mr. WANG Shang-wen,
Ph. D. Candidate,
University of Berlin /
National Taiwan University.
Mr. WANG Chieh,
Ph. D. Cand., School of Economics and Politics, University of London and National Taiwan University.
Mr. TSAI Wei-ding,
Ph. D. Cand.,
University of Munich, Germany.
|Prof Marian KAO
Fu Jen Catholic University